CR's Conway yard was located northwest of Pittsburgh along the Ohio river. This former PRR yard remained the largest railroad yard in the world from the time of it's expansion in the 1950's until 1980.
CN GP-38-2 5581 lined up between SD45-2 6656 and GP-35 3625 in the lines of power at Conway in August, 1977.
The previous day, the 5581 was seen mixed in with other CR power pulling mixed freight through Altoona.
A three-unit engine move at Conway in August, 1977 includes CR blue GP38 7832, leased CNW GP35 826, and SD45 6078 (ex-EL 3613).
Two autoracks loaded with new Ford Pinto's on the next track gives historical perspective.
Nothing but ALCo's in sight at the Conway engine terminal in August, 1977!
All of the major predecessor roads except CNJ are present with ex-RDG C630 5791, ex-PC C425 2442 and C430 2058, ex-LV C628 6734, and an ex-EL RS-3 huddlled around the turntable. Sadly, the whitelined LV C628 shows the signs of being cannibalized for parts.
Amidst a sea of power at the Conway engine terminal, CR C425's 2416 and 2446 wait for assignment.
Former Alco C425's 2416 and 2446 represent the first and last of the 31 ex-PRR series.
CR 21656 N7A and ex-PC 19324 N5 cabooses rest in the foreground.
Alcos, including C425 2418, filled the Conway roundhouse in August, 1977.