Yards

Conrail's Ashland Ave yard was Conrail's primary yard in the Chicago area.  While mostly used for intermodal trains, this yard originated several transfer trains and local jobs.  It was also referred to as the "CJ" or Chicago Junction based on the name of a predecessor company that originally built the yard.

Located on the west bank of the Susquehanna River, across from Harrisburg, Enola Yard was a key Conrail facility. It served as a main classification yard located at the convergence of a number of lines.

A shadow of what it once was, Allentown yard is almost empty in December, 1988. Former days of the Ironton S-12 working the yard, or LV RS-11's and strings of SW-8's preparing train makeups, are long gone.
A typical scene a year into operations, Conrail's Allentown yard is nearly full.
An overview of stored cars (including 60' and 86' boxcars) which would always fill this yard at Rose.
Another view of one of the yards at Rose that was used to store cars. The Juniata shop complex is in the background.
A third view is shown here of the yard at Rose that was used to store cars. Check out all of the Conrail boxcars that were stored here.
A SEPTA Chestnut Hill West local with ex-Reading Silverliner IV 9022 on the point passes the crowded Conrail Midvale Yard, filled with cars for Budd's Hunting Park Plant.
Sign at the entrance to Conrail's Willow Run Yard in Yipslanti, MI in August 1997. The graffiti on it is a reminder why you wouldn't want to be near here in the middle of the night. Doug Davidson photo with permission
MT-6 slug 1118 and SD38 6939 at Selkirk yard on Aug. 18, 1983.

A lashup of 5 Conrail four axle units, lead by a GP15-1 hauls a unit coal train toward the export piers in Baltimore.

Orangeville served as the engine terminal for Baltimore's Bayview Yards. Here a number of CR locomotives are being serviced while a lashup of ex-Reading units, Conrail GP10s and ex-PC geeps rolls by on the Northeast Corridor.

This photo is full of character, from the brand new Amtrak Ortner ballast cars to the old PC painted MP54s.

A trio of CR units, with PC U23B 2756 in the middle, pulls through Allentown yard in April, 1977.
Various CR units rest at Croxton on New Years Day 1978.
Conrail SD40-2 6365 is receiving some maintenance at the Morrisville diesel shop in 1983.
Conrail SD50 6761 is seen bringing train OICA south into Pavonia Yard in 9/1996
Conrail SD38 No. 6953 and MT4 No. 1018 shove the hump at Stanley Yard, Toledo, OH in August 1997. Doug Davidson photo with permission
LV RS-11 7643 (CR 7643) works the scenic Allentown yard.
Conrail's former Erie Lackawanna yard at Meadville, PA, in August 1997. Conrail GP38-2 No. 8186 is in the foreground. Doug Davidson photo with permission
Near the end of its career, Ironton 751 Baldwin DS4-4-1000 working hard in this zoom shot from the hill overlooking Allentown yard.
A 1981 view of the dead lines at East Altoona in 1981. Among the cars pictured are H54 covered hopper 890415 and ballast hopper 51734, The turntable and foundations of the old East Altoona roundhouse are seen behind the lines of stored cars. East Altoona was once the largest roundhouse in the world, servicing as many as 350 steam locomotives a day. It was closed in early 1968 and demolished that year.
Several CR boxes are seen in storage at Hollidaysburg, PA on 8/14/98.
An overview of Rose Yard in Altoona, PA on 11/24/98, shows many stored cars that includes 3 bay coal hoppers as well as other rolling stock.
An overview of Rose Yard in Altoona, PA on 11/24/98, shows many stored cars that includes 3 bay coal hoppers as well as other rolling stock.
An overview of Rose Yard in Altoona, PA on 11/24/98, shows many stored cars that includes 3 bay coal hoppers as well as other rolling stock.
An overview of Rose Yard in Altoona, PA on 5/15/98, shows many stored cars that includes 3 bay coal hoppers as well as other rolling stock.
An overview of Rose Yard in Altoona, PA on 5/15/98, shows many stored cars that includes 3 bay coal hoppers as well as other rolling stock.
An August 1982 view of Conrail's Colehour Yard Office and Tower at Hammond, IN. Doug Davidson photo with permission
Bookmark and Share