Going away shot of SPSE's headend for a better look at the rare birds in trail position. U23C's saw several months of duty on the Boston Line in road service. The 7430 is a GP9, but spotting features are inconsistent.
By 1983 finding units still in pre merger paint was a treat, so finding an older GP7 still sporting PC black was pretty cool. Most of the paint over has washed away reveling an almost complete PC "worm" logo. It's matched up with former Alco RS11 MT4 slug 1014 in this view at the Motor yard engine house.
An eastbound Conrail transfer behind a pair of GP7s, including 5644, is bound for Colehour Yard on the former PRR, just east of the Calumet River lift bridge at South Chicago, in April 1980. Doug Davidson photo with permission
Conrail GP7 No. 5674(note the N5K caboose 18443 behind the engine) has the traffic on Indianapolis Boulevard stopped as it pulls a cut of tank cars from the American Maize plant in November 1979. Doug Davidson photo with permission
Conrail "Bottle Train" behind GP7 No. 5710 is on the wye at Calumet Park, Il around April 1979. The train is heading for the IHB from the SC&S (former PRR Bernice Cutoff). Once on the IHB, the GP7 will run around its train and take it west to Acme Steel at Riverdale, via the IHB and the former PRR Panhandle. Doug Davidson photo with permission
One of the more interesting early geeps I'd seen on Conrail, the former EL 1201 sports a large single beam headlight, a holdover from the days it was delivered as an Erie unit, and has different style numbers applied.
After the N&W suburban train to Orland Park was equipped with RTA bi-level cars in the summer of 1979, Conrail leased the former N&W coaches for use on its Valparaiso trains. Train No. 454 is seen behind two Conrail Geeps(GP7 5909 and GP38-2 8187) running long hood forward above the ICG at Grand Crossing, in October 1979. The use of the ex-N&W coaches in this sevice lasted just a few months, as Conrail turned the service over to Amtrak in 1980. Doug Davidson photo with permission